The village of Eye is just a few miles from the cathedral city of Peterborough in the county of Cambridgeshire, England. The current population is approximately 4,500. The village is just five metres above sea level and at one time was an island in the fens, in fact the name of the village comes from the Anglo-Saxon word īeg meaning island. The first settlers probably fished and hunted wildfowl which would have been in abundance until the Fens were drained in the 17th Century.
The current church, St. Matthews, was built in 1846 during the medieval gothic revival on the site of an earlier 16th century church. Brickmaking was once an important industry in the village and there was once an 80-foot windmill and railway station to the east of the village.
The A47 trunk road which goes from Birmingham in the west to Great Yarmouth in the east, separates the main village in the south from Eye Green to the north. The bypass opened in October 1991 on what was previously the disused railway track.
Until recently is was also home to Louis Smith, medal winner from the European Men’s Artistic Gymnastics Championships, World Artistic Gymnastics Championships, 2012, 2016 Olympic medal winner and winner of Strictly Come Dancing. Just a mile to the south is the Ideal World (Freeview Ch22) and Create and Craft (23) shopping channels. The village is also home to the restaurant ‘The House of Feasts‘ owned by renowned chef Damian Wawrzyniak.
- Eye Parish Council
- Eye Community Association
- Local fuel prices
- Eye welcome leaflet
- Nearest laundrette
Advertise and support this site. Click here for further information.
Page views: 232472