Work is continuing on the Rhubarb Bridge roundabout. Lanes closures have meant long delays on both the A15 and along the A47 towards Eye, especially during rush hour. The £5.5 million pound project includes adding extra lanes as well as pedestrian crossings and improved lighting.
The junctions is one of the main routes into Peterborough City Centre from the village. At the moment its best to avoid the area entirely and take the eastern A1139, Boongate route into the centre. In February 2019 the council reported that live lanes on the roundabout were reduced to one due to a ‘number of incidents’. The works should be finished by winter 2019.
There’s been ongoing controversy over the works. In 2018 the city council announced they were going to demolish the footbridge as it was reaching the end of its life and put in pedestrian crossings at road level as the bridge would cost too much to replace. Concerns over pollution and the safety of a scheme were raised.
In 2018 the Cambridgeshire and Peterborough Combined Authority funded a structural report which contradicted the councils original claim that the bridge was nearing the end of its life. Following the report and a campaign by residents the council changed its mind and said money would be spent on maintaining the footbridge rather than demolishing it.
In the media:
- 26 Feb 2019: Further lane closures at Rhubarb Bridge junction in Peterborough mean more delays for drivers after near misses bring concerns for ‘safety of the workforce’
- 26 Feb 2019: Rhubarb Bridge lane closures to be eased to help Peterborough motorists
- 25 Feb 2019: Long delays due to roadworks at Peterborough’s Rhubarb Bridge
- 21 Feb 2019: Peterborough’s Rhubarb Bridge can be made more accessible
- 25 Jan 2019: Rhubarb Bridge roadworks could cause major Peterborough traffic disruption for months
- 7 Dec 2018: Trees wrongly removed during clearance work by Peterborough’s Rhubarb Bridge
- 22 Oct 2018: Spiralling costs of Rhubarb Bridge
- 13 Nov 2018: Roadworks by busy junction near Peterborough’s Rhubarb Bridge set to begin
- 25 Sep 2018: Peterborough’s Rhubarb Bridge to survive after new report showed it was in better condition than first thought
- 31 Aug 2018: Major repairs for Peterborough’s Rhubarb Bridge 12 months after being earmarked for demolition
- 21 Dec 2018: Major campaign victory as council makes U-turn over Peterborough’s Rhubarb Bridge
- 30 Aug 2017: Defeat for campaigners in bid to halt Rhubarb Bridge contract after heated Peterborough City Council meeting
- 14 Aug 2017: Campaign launched to replace landmark cycling and walking bridge in Peterborough
- 14 Aug 2017: Scheme to replace Rhubarb Bridge put on hold after Peterborough City Council decision is called-in
- 10 Aug 2017: Dismay as plans to replace Peterborough’s Rhubarb Bridge are revealed
- 28 Jul 2017: Rhubarb Bridge replacement plans to be unveiled to the Peterborough public
- 28 Jan 2017: BUDGET: £5.5m road works proposed for A15/A47 junction with Rhubarb Bridge demolished