Timeline

 

BC
Approx. 300BC First settlers in the area of Eye – round house built to north of village.
AD
200 Car Dyke built by the Romans.
582 The area of Eye becomes part of the Kingdom of Mercia.
966 The ‘Medhamstead minister’ and Abbot are given the lands of Eye.
1233 The beginnings of a ‘mansion’ at Eyebury.
1304 The grange of Northolm is started by Godfrey of Crowland.
1348 The Black death (Plague) enters Britain.
1541 Dissolution of the Monasteries and the creation of the Diocese of Peterborough by Henry VIII.
1600’s Fens around Eye drained and reclaimed as farmland.
1642 The English Civil War – a series of armed conflicts and political machinations between Parliamentarians and Royalists begins.
1643 Parliamentary soldiers arrived in Peterborough to attack Royalist strongholds at Stamford and Crowland.
1666 417 people die from the Plague in Peterborough in the final large prevalence of the disease in England.
1720 The population in Eye is recorded as being nearly 100 families.
1801 The first Census. Population for Eye is 501.
1810 The first of the Leeds family arrive at Eyebury Farm.
1823 Wesleyan chapel built.
1830 A new school built adjacent to the church on the corner of Back Lane and Eyebury Road due to the poor state of the previous building. This can be seen on old maps of the village.
1839 A new vicarage is built. It stands across the road from the current vicarage.
1847 The new re-built church opens for worship.
1849 On Monday 28th April a large fire broke out in a farmers yard which destroyed a hay stack, outbuildings and cottages. It was said that had the wind not veered to the south the whole village could had been laid in ruins. The amount of damage was said to be around £2,500, around £250,000 in today’s money.
1855 The school opens on the corner of Eye school with separate entrances for boys and girls. (Before 1870 there was no compulsion to educate children)
Brick making at Eye Fletton brickworks begins. The ‘callow hill’ and lakes close to Green road are all that remains of these earlier works.
1866 The Peterborough, Wisbech and Sutton Bridge Branch (later the Midland and Great Northern) railway comes to Eye.
1870 The Elemetary Education Act established the framework for education of children between 5 and 13

The old school - Now 'The Garden Communication and Media Co. Ltd.'
The old school – Now ‘The Garden Communication and Media Co. Ltd.’
1875 Infants school opened on the opposite side of the road to the 1855 mixed school. Over 5.000 new schools had been built in the country since the 1870 Education Act.
1880 Education comes compulsory up to the age of 10 (raised to 12 in 1899).
1884 The ability to vote is given to farmers and labourers living in the countryside. Before only men living in towns could vote.
1895 The parish hall (Leeds Hall) opens for use. The Leeds gave the site and helped raise funds for construction. It was referred to as ‘The Iron Room’ as it was originally this was built of timber and clad with corrugated iron sheets. Only from 1920 was it named the Leeds Memorial Hall, more commonly called the Leeds Hall. The current hall was built in the 1970’s.
1887 On Thursday 23rd June the oak tree in the grounds of the church is planted by a Mrs. Beecroft as part of the villages celebration of Queen Victoria’s Golden Jubilee.
1897 Brick making at Northam Brickyards starts.
Queen Victoria’s Silver Jubilee is celebrated in the village with large marquee being erected in a field close to the village. 1,100 people attend for a substantial tea. St Mark’s band is in attendance, the national anthem is sung and sporting events take place.
1898 Alfred Nicholson unearths Cetiosaurus Leedsi, a 60 foot reptile that lived 162 million years ago.
1901 Census this year records the population at 1,366. Thats 272 percent higher than in 1801.
Queen Victoria dies.
1911 3,800 year old Bronze Age barrows discovered to the south of Tanholt House
1912 Titanic sinks
1914 World War one begins and Eye Patriotic Society is formed.
1918 World War one ends and the church bells are rung continuously until 4 o’clock.
1919 Peace Day celebrations are held with a thanksgiving service at the church, events include a garden fete, friendly football match, and dancing and fireworks.
Tree of peace planted in the grounds of “The Lawns”. Now Fountains Place.

1970's photo of the aerial ropeway looking east towards Eye brickyards
1970’s photo of the aerial ropeway looking east towards Eye brickyards
1928 Aerial ropeway is erected to carry clay to Eye from the Dogsthorpe Works.
Representation of the People (Equal Franchise) Act. Any women over 21 years old is now allowed to vote. Prior to this act only women over 30 who met minimum property qualifications could vote.
1929 The great depression, the brick yard shuts.
1933 The brick yard re-opens as the country pulls its way out of the depression.
1934 The final service is held at the Wesleyen chapel.
1925 Death of Queen Alexandra on the 27th November
1935 George The Fifth’s Silver Jubilee
1936 Abdication of Edward VIII
Coronation of George VI
1939 World War Two breaks out and the Eye Patriotic Society is revived.
1941 Lone German aircraft strafes the high street and drops bombs near the brickyards.
1945 German Flying bomb seen over high street.
Nearly 200 men from Eye recorded serving in the War.
World War Two ends.
1948 National Health Service comes into being.
1951 Infants section of Eye C of E school opens.
1958 Large quantity of Roman tiles found between Clay Lane and Car Dyke.
1959 Eye Green railway station closes.
1964 George Matthews House opens on the 30th June.
The extension of Eye C. of E. school for juniors is opened.
1966 Sports field off Lindisfarne is acquired.
The last ever freight train, loaded with bricks, leaves Eye Green.
1969 St Peter’s Work Centre opens at the end of Lindisfarne Road.
The Croft opens on the 2nd April.
1970 Leeds hall is rebuilt with prefabricated sections.
Swimming pool for Eye C. of E. school built by volunteers.
1971 The old school is converted for use as library and youth centre.
1972 Eye becomes part of Cambridgeshire (After previously being part of Northamptonshire).
1981 Marriage of Charles and Dianna on Wednesday 29 July was celebrated across the village including a fete at the Croft which included games, competitions and tea.
1982 The church spire removed due to safety concerns.
Last remaining section of Eye tower mill demolished.
1983 On the 23rd of April two Harriers from RAF Wittering collided over a field to the east of the village and crashed. While Air combat training at 10,000ft a Harrier GR.3 XV795 turned into the path of Harrier T.4 XW926. Although the pilot of the GR.3 ejected to safety the two pilots in the T.4 sadly died. A summary of the accident is here.
1985 Laurel Farm Medical Centre opens. Previously the surgery was in Field House next to the infants and junior school, now a residential home for the elderly.
1986 Manor Farm Community Centre is opened on the 27 September by Councillor Derek Williams.
1989 At 9.36am on the 22nd March a load bang which rattled windows was heard across the village. The cause was a lorry full of explosives and detonators that had exploded in nearby Fengate. The story made local and national news. You can read more about it here.
1990 Eye Brickyards close.

Looking east along Eye bypass in 2011. 60 years earlier you would have been watching trains going under the bridge.
Looking east along Eye bypass in 2011. 60 years earlier you would have been watching trains going under the bridge.
1991 The A47 bypass opens to north of village.
1996 The former Northam Brickyard, 25 acre site, is declared a nature reserve.
1998 St. Peter’s Adult Training Centre closes.
2001 Census data puts the population at 3,779. Thats a 276 percent growth in the last century.
2002 Eye High Street from Tocanini’s to the Church, Back Lane and Lukes Lane become a designated conservation area.
2003 Lincolnshire County Council grants planning permission for the new A16.
2004 Peterborough City Council grants planning permission for the new A16.
2006 Renovations to the church that have been on the cards since the 60’s, including a new community room and toilet block are completed.
The Harry Cureton extension to the doctor’s surgery is opened. Harry who had won £7 million on the lottery had been a well known greengrocer for many years in the village. Harry died in 2003 but the £115,000 required to build the extension was provided by a trust fund Harry had set up for local health needs across the city.
2007 Planning application approved for Peterborough Garden Park.
2008 19-year-old gymnast Louis Smith from Cleve Place wins a bronze medal at the Bejing Olympics.
2010 The last resident leaves St. Matthews House and it’s closed. (Plans are to build 15 chalet bungalows on the plot with communal facilities for the 50+ age group.)
The Croft closes after 41 years.
The £25 million Peterborough Garden Park opens.
In April the local council held a consultation on plans to build 305 homes, 10 travellers’ pitches and a plot for travelling show people to be built in the village. Almost 300 turn up at meeting to object to the proposals.
The grass field behind the Manor Farm Community centre is converted to a park with £100,000 of Lottery funding.
Councillor Marco Cereste, Leader of Peterborough City Council and Paul Kitson from the Homes and Communities Agency mark the ‘topping out‘ of the £7.5million Spinney extra care scheme by laying the final two bricks. More here.
The first section of the new A16 between Spalding and Crowland opens. The final part between Crowland and Peterborough remains closed due to slippage on the embankment leading up to the bridge.

In 2011 HRH The Duchess of Gloucester officially opens The Spinney. (Photo courtesy of Axiom Housing Association)
In 2011 HRH The Duchess of Gloucester officially opens The Spinney.
(Photo courtesy of Axiom Housing Association)
2011 The marriage of Prince William and Kate Middleton on the 29 April was widely celebrated across the village.
In July HRH The Duchess of Gloucester officially opened The Spinney, Axiom Housing’s Extra Care Scheme comprising of 52 extra care apartments and 12 bungalows. Dignitaries included Mr Hugh Duberly CBE Lord Lieutenant of Cambridgeshire, the High Sherrif of Cambridgeshire, Mr Richard Barnwell and the Mayor of Peterborough. Also in attendance were Gillian Beasley, Chief Executive of Peterborough City Council and Marco Cereste leader of the council.
After repairs costing £5 million to the embankment leading up to Car Dyke bridge, the £80 million A16 Eye bypass between Crowland and Peterborough finally opens on the 16th October .
2012 Plans to build 600 homes in Eye and Thorney is approved.
Gymnast Louis Smith from Cleve Place wins a bronze and silver medal at the London 2010 Olympics.
Eye Green traffic calming measures are completed
St Matthews Court is demolished for a new housing estate
2013 George Matthews Gardens is completed on the site of St Matthews Court
Plans to build 52 homes on land to the east of the village is given planning permission.
Eye United youth team beat Blackstones 5 -1 to win the Professional Footballers’ Association (PFA) prize.
Riva Restaurant moves to Eye from the Key Theatre in Peterborough.
Red Lion closes and is put up for sale
Manor Farm Park receives the Green Flag award.
2014 The Croft, older peoples home is demolished and planning permission for 14 homes is given for the site.
2015 Musa, an Indian restaurant opens in the former Spade and Shovel pub.
2016 COOP returns to Eye and opens in the former Red Lion .
The former Greyhound Pub in Eye Green re-opens as Maccaloo Gastro Pub.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *